Managing new and ageing power plants
By their very nature, nuclear power stations demand robust security. Their safe operation poses unique challenges, including the ability to predict – and prepare for – potential failures.
Some of the challenges facing the industry today include:
- Industry regulator and commercial pressures demand improved efficiencies and reduction in costs
- The high degree of regulation within the industry makes changing out systems or components more challenging than for many other industries
- The increased security risk of malicious (Cyberattack) or accidental corruption of software
- Extending the period between outages
- Changes in regulations, standards and best practices. as well as the need to upgrade systems to meet these requirements
- Asset life extension and the requirement to demonstrate to authorities that systems and sub-systems are being effectively managed
Working with a trusted partner that understands how your industry works is always important. But when it comes to protecting the integrity of process control systems software that is used to operate nuclear power facilities, it is crucial.
At AGSL, we know the Nuclear Power industry
We have worked for many years on behalf of EDF Energy, the UK’s primary nuclear power supplier and former British Energy. As a result, we offer expertise gleaned from hands-on experience.
Inn addition to the generic version of Asset Guardian software, AGSL has configured and customised this software to provide a number of specific solutions for the nuclear generating industry. These include FRACAS/DRACAS, mathematical modelling to assist in determining the obsolescence of components and a “V” modelling tool to comply with EIC 61508 and 61511, CPNI and ONR (CPNI – Centre for the Protection of the National Infrastructure and ONR – Office for Nuclear Regulation.)
Why Nuclear Power plant operators rely on AGSL
- Nuclear Power industry knowledge based on experience with EDF (formerly British Energy)
- Ensures compliance with regulations, such as EIC 61508 and 61511, ISO 9001 CPNI and ONR
- Manages and secures process software used to control processes that affect projects and operations
- Intuitive and easy to learn
- Scalable to meet a wide range of applications including the requirements of other non-process control-related disciplines, including Electrical, Mechanical and others.
- Field-proven = low risk
- Full FRACAS/DRACAS capability
- Supply of Asset Guardian software
- Provide installation and configuration support
- Customise programme for individual needs
- Software “hosting” and system management
- Assist with the data migration from existing electronic systems to Asset Guardian
- Training in the classroom and/or online via computer-based training (CBT)
- Auditing corporate and plant procedure and processes (GAP analysis)
- Ongoing maintenance and support of Asset Guardian