Asset Guardian simplifies obsolescence management in compliance with IEC 62402
Today’s increasing population of ageing assets and commercial pressures to extend their operational life means that greater emphasis is being placed on collecting, managing and analysing data to determine whether an item needs replacing or whether that item should be used to extend the life of another part of the process.
IEC 62402 is the international standard for obsolescence management and its principals can be applied to any type of Industrial Automation and Control System (IACS) in a simple 5-step approach:
Obsolescence management can seem a daunting and expensive process but by following this AG 5-step approach, it can be managed in a very cost-effective and efficient manner. It allows you to deal with the highest priority items first and not waste time and resources on low impact, low risk components. It also allows you to target budgets for possible upgrades where they are going to be most effective in reducing obsolescence issues, and extend the life of other equipment with a full understanding of the risks involved.
The Asset Guardian Obsolescence module has been developed to meet the requirements of IEC 62402 and to provide a structured approach to help companies establish and maintain an effective system to manage equipment obsolescence.
The AG solution has been enhanced which means the AG Obsolescence Manager™ is now available in two modularised formats. The first allows new and existing Asset Guardian software solutions users to integrate this capability into their AG Software Solution. The other option provides companies with a stand-alone AG Obsolescence Management solution, managing equipment obsolescence while benefiting from the structured work flow management and data integrity synonymous with Asset Guardian software.
For new and existing users of Asset Guardian, the addition of the enhanced AG Obsolescence Management module enables you to:-
- Plan your strategies through Risk Assessment and Prioritising
- Store data for hardware and software in a central location, making it easy to quickly search and sort information.
- Maximise your return on investment in Asset Guardian by utilising common data across all functions of Asset Guardian software
- Link AG Management of Change (MoC) to AG Obsolescence Management enabling the effective control of any changes made.
- Analyses data to determine when an item must be replaced
- Monitors the expiration dates of equipment and software manufacturer service contracts.
- Receive automatic reminders of reviews and corrective actions due
- Seamless interface with third-party data modelling software tools that predict failure rates, and produce a graphic representation of these rates.
- Generates customised reports and graphs.
- Interface with other company management systems, such as Enterprise Management Software Systems (SAP/Maximo for example) to maximise a company’s return on investments and make it easy to share data and knowledge across the organisation
Asset Guardian Solutions Limited (AGSL) offer professional customer support services to carry out the compilation and verification of the data held in their Asset Registers and provide advice regarding the requirements of industry standards, regulations and guidelines relating to the management of ageing process control systems.
AGSL will work with you to assess impacts and risks of obsolescence and advise on strategies for dealing with obsolescence issues.
AGSL is a member of the International Institute of Obsolescence Management (IIOM). The IIOM is a professional body for those involved in, or interested in, Obsolescence Management and its members formed the core of the team that developed the national and obsolescence standards – DEF-STAN 00-71, BS7000 Pt 5 & IEC62402